Do you want to create a website or a blog and have been told to do it with WordPress but you don’t know where to start? Well, installing WordPress is easy and doesn’t require any programming knowledge or anything like that. You simply have to follow these simple steps and in less than 5 minutes you will have it installed on your hosting and you can start designing your website to your liking.
In addition to this tutorial in text format on how to install WordPress on your hosting, at the end of this post I will also show you with a video in which I do a complete WordPress installation from scratch. Let’s get started!
Why install WordPress and not another manager to create your website?
If I were to list the reasons, I would get another complete entry about the advantages of using WordPress compared to other competitors such as Joomla or Drupal, so I’ll give you a summary:
- It is easy to understand how it works. Anyone wanting to learn can create a web page. You can easily add text, images, icons, and videos with layout designers like Visual Composer.
- WordPress installation is very simple and does not require prior knowledge.
- It is very easy to link with your social networks to increase your diffusion.
- Being the most used system in the world, you will find a huge amount of information. Whatever problem you have, there will always be a tutorial to help you.
- And finally, don’t forget that WordPress and Google get along. Due to its structure and the SEO plugins that exist, it will be easy for you to improve your SEO positioning and be in the first search results.
What can I create with WordPress and what knowledge should I have?
If you decide to install WordPress and create your website with this CMS, you should know that you can design any type of website: a corporate website for your business, a blog to promote your personal brand and improve your job position; an online store where you can sell your products and even a website to show your portfolio of work and / or curriculum.
As for knowledge, you don’t need to know programming languages like PHP or markup languages and styles like HTML and CSS. Anyone is able to design their own website without having to hire a professional.
Therefore, don’t wait any longer and start installing WordPress on your hosting!
How to install WordPress on your hosting?
Before installing WordPress, you must have hired a hosting and a domain to host your website. I recommend that you do not skimp on this step to avoid future headaches. Two of the hosting that I use the most in my web projects.
There are 2 ways to install WordPress on your hosting. You can do it automatically or manually. Normally, quality hosting like the previous ones that I have mentioned have an automatic WordPress installation service that allows you to have it installed in a couple of minutes.
First I will explain how to install WordPress automatically and then I will teach you to do it manually in case you do not have a premium hosting.
Install WordPress automatically
To start the automatic installation of WordPress, go to your hosting and look for the panel. Normally you have to access Client Area > Active Services and there select the hosting option that you have contracted. Once inside, you have to look for a button that says panel.
Once you have found it, click on “Install this application” and you will get a form with some fields that you must fill in as I explain below:
- Location: put your name and leave the path empty to install WordPress in the root or main folder of your hosting.
- Version: here leave the options that are preset so that in this way the latest version of WordPress is installed.
- Configuration: in this section you must put the data with which you want to access your website.
- In Username it is normal to put your first and last name (it is the name that will appear every time you publish a blog entry unless you change it for example).
- In email put your main email account.
- In the name of the website, you must put a title that contains the keywords by which you want to be found. Keep in mind what Google will show in search results.
- In the slogan or description of the website, you should put a small text in which you describe what you do or what you sell using keywords. However, you can change this later so don’t eat your head too much at this point.
- Advanced: leave it as it comes by default here.
- When you finish filling in this information, click on “Install” and you will have finished the automatic WordPress installation. We could say that you already know how to install WordPress on your hosting from scratch.
- To access your website and start creating your website, type your domain in the address bar of the browser and to access the control panel and start creating sections and entries add “/ we-admin” after the domain (your domain .com / we-admin) and enter the username and password. Your domain. Com / we – admin) and enter the username and password.
· Manual WordPress installation
- Another way to install WordPress is to do it manually. It takes a little more time but is still easy if you follow all the steps.
- Go to the official WordPress org website and download the WordPress installation file. Have this zip located because then you will have to upload it to the hosting.
- Now access your hosting and enter your panel as we saw above in the automatic installation section.
· Step 1: Create the database
- The first step of all is to create the database for your website. To do this, inside panel look for the section called “Databases “. Click on an option that says “MySQL Databases” or similar. In the field “Create a new database” write a name that makes sense, such as “bd_wordpress” and click on the button “Create a database”.
- The next thing is to create a user. In the same area that we were creating the database there will be another section a little further down called “MySQL users“. Fill in the fields with a name, for example “admin”, put a password that you remember and click on the “Create a user” button.
- The last step would be to link the database and the user you just created. To do this, go to “Add a user to a database” and add the user you just created.
· Step 2: Install the WordPress files
- The next step is to install the WordPress files. To do this, within your panel, go to the “Files” section and click on “File Manager“. The WordPress files must be installed directly in the root, so you must access the “public_html ” folder.
- Now look in the top menu for the button « Upload«, « Upload » or similar and select on your computer the zip that you downloaded from the WordPress website. Wait a couple of minutes until the upload is complete.
Now that you have everything ready, delete the zip you uploaded and the folder called WordPress, which will now be empty.
Once it is done, type your domain name in the browser and the WordPress installation wizard will skip. When it does, follow the instructions provided on the screen and fill in all the information requested.
- Database name: put the name you gave to the database.
- Username: here you must put the name you chose for the database user.
- Password: enter the password you entered when you created the database.
- Database server: leave it as it comes by default
- Table prefix: leave as default
Click on “Submit” and then on “Run the installation”.
When it is finished, the WordPress wizard will ask you to give your website a title, to create a new username (which you will then use to enter your WordPress panel), to enter a password and your email address.
I advise you that in the title you put the keywords for which you want people to search and find you, and that in the name, put your first and last name.
Now you are all set, click on “Install WordPress”.
!! Congratulations!! You have now completed the WordPress installation. If you have skipped the login page, put your username and password that you just created and access your website. If not, remember that to access the control panel, you must type your domain name followed by we-admin in this way: yourdomain.com/wp-admin your domain. Com / wp – admin
The next step is to configure your site to be able to start designing the website and choose a premium template that allows you to create a totally professional and personalized looking website.